The below press release was issued by the City of Jacksonville.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 26, 2021 — The City of Jacksonville’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program will distribute nearly $29 million of federal funds to assist Duval County residents who have been unable to pay their rent or utilities due to a loss of income related to COVID-19. Applications will be accepted starting Monday, March 29 at 8 a.m. The application deadline is Friday, April 9 at 6 p.m.
The funds will be available to citizens to cover up to 12 months of rent and utility payments with the option for an additional three months if determined necessary to ensure housing stability. Partnering agencies JEA and the United Way of Northeast Florida will administer the program, with JEA managing $5 million and United Way distributing $23.8 million.
Federal guidelines require qualifying individuals and families to have an income that falls below 80% of the area median income. The requirements are as follows:
Household Size and Total Income
One person: $42,000
Two people: $48,000
Three people: $54,000
Four people: $60,000
Five people: $64,800
Six people: $69,600
Seven people: $74,400
Eight people: $79,200
In addition to the income prerequisite, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Reside in Duval County.
• Provide proof of hardship due to COVID-19, including verification of unemployment benefits, a reduction in income or other financial issue that threatened the household’s ability to pay rent when due.
• Provide a documented risk of housing instability or homelessness.
• Be unable to access other payment assistance for the same costs (ex: If rent assistance was received from another program for March – May, this program may not be used to pay for rent during that timeframe; however, it could cover other months).
Priority must be provided to households that have incomes at or below 50% AMI or have one or more members who have been unemployed for at least 90 days. Payments will be made directly to the utility company or landlord.
Residents can apply online or in-person by appointment only beginning Monday, March 29 at 8 a.m. The fastest and easiest way for tenants and landlords to apply is online. The online application is available by visiting https://www.coj.net/erap
Paper applications will be available for pick up and drop off at the sites below. Limited in-person assistance is by appointment only.
Drop Off Only Sites:
• Catholic Charities Jacksonville, 40 East Adams Street, Suite 310, 32202
• Beaches Emergency Assistance Ministry, 850 6th Avenue South, Suite 400, 32250
• City of Jacksonville Housing and Community Development Division, 214 North Hogan Street, 7th Floor, 32202
Pick Up, Drop Off, and In-Person Application Assistance Sites:
• Jewish Family & Community Services, 6261 DuPont Station Court, 32217
• Wealth Watchers, 5310 Lenox Avenue, Unit 4, 32205
• Downtown Ecumenical Services Council, 215 North Ocean Street, 32202
For additional information, see the FAQs, or call (904) 630-2489 (CITY)
This project is being supported, in whole or in part, by federal award number ERA0269 awarded to the City of Jacksonville by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.